I saw the preview for The Kid Who Would Be King before we screened it and wondered what my sons would learn from it. On the drive to the studio for the screening, I told them that I would look for different things in the film than them. Screening dozens of movies over the past seven years have led us to discuss not only if it were a good movie but what we could take away from the film as well.
A quick synopsis of The Kid Who Would Be King is old school magic meets the modern world. Alex (Ashbourne Serkis) thinks he’s just another nobody until he stumbles upon the mythical Sword in the Stone, Excalibur.
Now, he must unite his friends and enemies into a band of knights and, together with the legendary wizard Merlin (Stewart), take on the wicked enchantress Morgana (Ferguson). With the future at stake, Alex must become the great leader he never dreamed he could be.
Fox Studios, produced the film and is sharing A Guide For Young Knights which I think best sums up the positive attributes for The Kid Who Would Be King.
Teaching Kids Well
The Guide for Young Knights presents The Knight’s Code which are four key, life skills that kids should know and perform before they can be a Knight, which is a highly honorable title and it must be earned! This is a very clever way of explaining the positive characteristics that every human being should practice being.
Character Traits : A Guide For Young Knights
1. Honor Those You Love
A knight shows gratitude and admiration for the people in their community. How you can honor those you love in your community:
• Write a thank you letter to your teacher.
• Tell your friends, “thank you for being a good friend.”
• Surprise your parents by helping out around the house.
2. Refrain From Wanton Offense
A knight must only use his or her strength for good through acts of chivalry and kindness. How you can be chivalrous in your community:
• Hold open a door for someone.
• Say “please” and “thank you” to your server at a restaurant or when someone does something nice.
• Pick up trash when you see it.
3. Speak The Truth At All Times
A knight never tells a lie and is a trustworthy and reliable member of the community. How you can be a trustworthy member of your community:
• Keep your promises. If someone asks you for a favor and you promise you will do it, then do it!
• Model the Golden Rule. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
• Always tell the truth, even when it’s hard.
4. Persevere In Any Enterprise Until The End
A knight never quits. Even when it’s tough, they follow through until the end. How you can persevere to help your community:
• Organize a fundraiser for a local cause. Set a goal amount and reach it.
• When tackling a task, give it your all and seek out answers to any questions you may have.
• Gather your friends and family to do a beach or park cleanup, leaving it better than you found it.
THE KID WHO WOULD BE KING
Release: January 25, 2019
Written and Directed
Produced by: Nira Park, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner
Cast: Louis Ashbourne Serkis, Dean Chaumoo, Tom Taylor, Rhianna Dorris, Angus Imrie, with Rebecca Ferguson and Patrick Stewart
THE KID WHO WOULD BE KING Official Channels
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: www.TheKidWhoWouldBeKing.com
*Thank you Fox Studios for hosting us at the screening. All opinions expressed are my own. #hosted