From Wednesday, May 8 to Sunday, May 12, The Los Angeles Times Food Bowl celebrated their highly anticipated Night Market. Night Market is an outdoor celebration of L.A’s diverse dining scene held over five nights at Grand Park in downtown Los Angeles. Each night features dozens of restaurants, with art installations throughout the park and DJ’s playing music. Admission to the Night Market is free.
Opening was Collaboration Lab which celebrated and featured collaborations from L.A’s top restaurants and international guests. Collaborations in the special VIP area, I encourage this option, because you’ll experience included Night Market extras like: Bavel x Taco Maria, Kismet x Ciya, Shibumi x Spago, Scratch Bar and Kitchen x Ari Taymor, Fiona x Cicatriz, Chengdu Taste x Jitalda, Openaire x Arlo Grey, The Bazaar x Otono, Otium x Salazar.
Restaurant of the Year : BAVEL
The Los Angeles Times Food Team announced Bavel as this year’s recipient of Restaurant of the Year. Congratulations.
To Name A Few
- Shibumi x Spago: Teriyaki Burger with Spring Pickles
- Scratch Bar and Kitchen x Ari Taymor: Olive wagyu
- Fiona x Cicatriz: Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Chengdu Taste x Jitalda: Jazz Spicy Fried Rice
- Openaire x Arlo Grey: Fried Bun with whipped almond and gochujang braised duck
- Otium x Salazar: Cielo, Mar Y Tierra – BBQ Pork Tacos, Duck Liver Mousse, XO Sauce (shown below)
Taco Tribute night brought together the cities best taqueros such as Guerrilla Tacos, Sonoratown, Carnitas el Momo, Chichen Itza, Broken Spanish, Tacos 1986, Teddy’s Red Tacos.
The delicious Fried Chicken Party incorporated a variety of different and unique styles of fried chicken with restaurants that included Honey’s Kettle, Lucky Bird, Night + Market, Chef Kang Food Rehab, Hotville Chicken, Phat Birds and The Crack Shack.
Fried Chicken Party meals:
- Honey’s Kettle: Drumette, Chicken Oyster, Leek Fries
- Night + Market: World Famous Fried Chicken Sando
- Chef Kang: Fried Wings with Spicy Soy Garlic and Honey Butter
- Hotville: Nashville Hot Chicken Bites
- Lucky Bird: Chicken Sammie with Seasonal Pickled Veggies
- Phat Birds: Honey Dipped Tenders with Spicy Slaw and Housemade Pickles
- The Crack Shack: The Coop Deville -Tender Fried Breast with a Brioche Bun
A dual celebration. The afternoon focused on finding L.A’s Best Burger while the evening focused on Noodles, Dumplings and Rice.
The L.A’s Best Burger Event included vendors such as winner HiHo Cheeseburger, Banh Oui, Everson Royce Bar, Hank’s, Bowery, Love Hour, Otium, Mel’s Drive In, NoMad, and Belcampo Meat Co. Two awards were given that afternoon, the first was the Judges pick of L.A’s Best Burgers which Banh Oui won. The second was People’s pick of L.A’s Best Burger which was awarded to HiHo Cheeseburger. Celebrity judges included Phil Rosenthal, Jaleel White, Benny Blanco, Claudia Alende, and Elsie.
L.A’s Best Burger meals:
- NoMad: Chuck/Dry Aged Beef, Bone Marrow, Pickled Relish, Cheddar Chive Bun/ Chicken Burger with Truffle Mayo, Frisee Salad, Pickled Shallot, Chicken Skin
- Hanks: Butter Burger with Bone Marrow and Red Wine Butter
- Banh Oui: Oui Burger
- Belcampo: Organic Grass Fed Belcampo Burger – Organic Beef Patty with White Cheddar, Caramelized Onions and House Sauce with a Brioche Bun
- HiHo Cheeseburger: HiHo Double Cheeseburger – ⅓ lb of beef, cheese, ketchup, lettuce, house-made onion jam and pickles with mustard grilled.
Dumplings, Noodles and Rice
This night brought together the following vendors for a jam-packed night of pan-Asian cuisine: Porridge + Puffs, Baroo Canteen, Hui Tou Xiang, Chongqing Special Noodles, Lukshon, Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant, Noodle Harmony and Little Sister. This night was sold out.
All-Star BBQ closed Night Market with a celebration of BBQ from across the states. Many well-renowned pitmasters made way to Los Angeles to showcase was true BBQ is all about. Pitmasters and vendors included Burt Bakman, Mutsky Bilivarn, Bill Durney, Aaron Franklin, Matt Horn, Sam Jones, Adam Perry Lang, Dave Marin, Andrew and Michelle Munoz, and Valerie Gordon.
Lounge with DoorDash
The DoorDash Lounge partnered with multiple popular Los Angeles restaurants to offer a premium menu to lounge guests featuring: Bling Bling Dumpling, Tacos 1986, Bludso’s, Gwen, and Crack Shack. You could receive these bites delivered right to your seat! I sure did and enjoyed it. DoorDash also included complimentary Topo Chico and a special mochi dessert from My/Mo Ice Cream.
About The Los Angeles Times Food Bowl:
The Los Angeles Times Food Bowl, an annual month-long festival celebrating the city’s dynamic and influential food scene, taking place throughout the month of May. Centered in Los Angeles, the festival will bring together the best in local dining experiences while promoting social awareness about food waste and hunger. L.A.’s largest culinary event to date, Food Bowl will include special programs with internationally renowned chefs during rare U.S. appearances.